PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. Preferably complete the ID card application form on your computer, print it out, sign (in BLACK) and add your passport photo.
2. Please note that if the form is not signed within the block, the application will be rejected
3. Please present a passport photo which meets the set standards.
4.1. If you are registered at the Consulate general in Pretoria: Applications can be send by post or courier service, or can be handed in, by preference in the afternoon, between 13.30 and 15.30.
4.2. If you are registered at the Consulate general in Cape Town: Make an appointment via https://booknow.appointment-plus.com/7mqcxb38/ . Hand in your application form + proof of payment + photos between 9am and 1pm, Monday to Friday. Or send the application in an A4 or A5 envelope to CONSULATE GENERAL OF BELGIUM, PO BOX 2717, 8000 CAPE TOWN.
5. Children at the age of 11 years and 9 months can already apply for an ID card. For younger children, you can apply for a Kids-ID. The application form for the Kids-ID needs to be signed by both parents.
6. DO NOT e-mail or fax your proof of payment, print it out and hand it in when applying for your identity card, or have it attached to your file when using a courier or postal service. Identity card application forms are needed, please download from link
7. Please note that the ID cards can now be activated at the Consulate general. Electronic identity cards with certificates enable the holders to identify themselves and give their consent securely over the Internet in an internationally accepted manner (digital signature). If I want to use my ID card to identify myself on the internet, then I have to go to my Consulate (or a Consulate of choice or commune in Belgium) in person with my ID card and puk-code, taking into consideration the opening hours and/or appointment system. Please book an appointment for this.
NO IDENTITY CARD APPLICATION WILL BE ACCEPTED WITHOUT SUBMITTING YOUR PROOF OF PAYMENT - PAYMENT WILL BE STRICTLY BY BANK TRANSFER
Please note: As a Belgian citizen it is your responsibility to manage your own identity documents, so please keep an eye on their expiry date.